American Gods

American Gods remains one of my favorite books. It's been a while since I last picked it up, but with the new upcoming television series I had to revisit it.

This isn't a book I've ever been able to read quickly. The plot is slow and meandering, and I always take my time to meander through it. I just love spending time in this world where gods are real and dying. Where America is both a promise of a fresh start and a short attention span. I love the old, stubborn gods and the new, fragile, scared gods and all the little weird corners of this immense country I call home.

I'm really excited to see how the television adaption plays out. They're only doing 1/3 of the book in the first season, which actually makes sense plot-wise. It's everything before Shadow gets to Laketown, which would mean that Laketown takes up the entirety of season 2 which would be great. But for now there's still a lot of exciting stuff. And I'm interested to see how the "Coming to America" sections will be folded in to the rest of the story.

I'm glad that this book continues to hold up to re-reads. I'm still finding stuff that I either never noticed or forgot about, like Medusa's brief cameo. And then there are all the familiar beats that remain as lovely as the first time I came across them. This is a great story to sink into for a week or so. I can't wait for the tv series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel