The Shadowed Sun

The second book in NK Jemisin's Dreamblood duology picks up ten years after the end of the first one. It follows a mostly new cast of characters, primarily the son of the deposed king and the first woman allowed to train as a priest. The characters from the first book do appear, though they are older and more cynical this time around.

This book sets aside many of the questions of the previous book, notably the discussion around end of life care and assisted death. Instead it focuses on the way cultures change with time, how they deal and fail to deal when that change is imposed from the outside, and how they go about reclaiming themselves.

This book is about a revolution. The people of Gujaareh have been under Kisuati rule for a decade now, in the wake of their corrupt prince's death. They have begun to chafe under that rule and are looking for a way to reclaim their city, even if it means returning to the system that so recently failed them.

Jemisin is fantastic at creating a rich world with real, conflicted characters. I swear I could smell the cities and desert in this book, something I haven't experienced quite so vividly since I read Dune. I wish there were more stories set in this world, though I'm also excited to dive into her latest trilogy. Jemisin creates world unlike any other fantasy author I can remember reading, and it's a pleasure to spend time in them questioning my assumptions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel