Attachments

I've been hearing good things about Rainbow Rowell for years. But most of her books have yet to be released in paperback, for reasons I can't quite fathom. And I've never really want to spend $25 on one of her books, especially since they all seem to be quick reads. But I finally saw one at a used book sale, so I snatched it up. I'm glad I did, because it was a really cute, light read. I'm equally glad I only spent a couple of bucks on it, since it really didn't take me long to read and it's not the sort of book I'll be revisiting endlessly in years to come.

The story is a romance with a sort of creepy concept. If you can get past it, the book is really enjoyable. Light and fun with interesting characters. But I can understand not being able to get past it.

At the turn of the millenium, Lincoln has been hired to read the emails of the employees at a small newspaper and make sure they aren't abusing the email system or using it for things unrelated to work. In the course of reading the emails, he starts to fall for Beth, who is constantly corresponding with her friend Jennifer. Instead of sending them a notice about company policy, he keeps reading the email, falling in love from afar. But by the time he realizes he's in love with Beth, it's way too late to do anything about it.

It's a fun wish-fulfillment fantasy. In real life, it's beyond creepy to know that someone is reading your work-emails. In fantasy-land, it's nice to think of a man falling in love with your mind, your wit, your writing without ever laying eyes on you. It's fun to read about and lose yourself in for a while, even if I'd never want it to happen in the real world. But that's what books are for sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel