The Fifth Elephant

I can't figure out why I disliked this book so much the first time I read it. Well, based on the book mark that got left in it, I can understand why I might have been a little angry at the world and unable to really engage with this book at the time. But that's really no excuse.

Or it could be that I can see just how pivotal this book is in the Discworld series, now that I know everything that comes after it. There are a lot of firsts here. The clacks system begins the industrialization of Ankh-Morpork. There are tentative diplomatic relations with the dwarves and vampires of Uberwald. Pratchett infuses dwarf culture with an incredible richness and begins to explore themes of modernization and how new generations accept or reject traditions. Plus there's a perfectly vile villain.

Really, though, this is one of the most solid books in the series. It caught me by surprise how every little side plot managed to tie back to the central theme. Plus it's another Sam Vimes book, and I just like him more and more. I don't think that turning point came for me until Night Watch the first time I read this series, but now it's so much fun to watch his development. Now to mention that this book has more Sybil that any book since Guards! Guards!

In short, this book was fantastic. It might be in my top five Discworld books, now that I've given it a fair chance. Rediscovering this one has made me really happy that I'm re-reading the series. I hope there are some other forgotten gems waiting for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel