We Were Liars

Everyone was talking about this book when it came out. I knew that it was about rich teenagers. I was vaguely aware that there was a twist ending, mostly because no seemed to want to talk about it. There were just a bunch of pleas, everywhere, to read this book because it was so good.

Having read it, I get it. It's hard to talk about this book without talking about the ending. The ending re-contextualizes the whole story, making you go back and question everything you read.

What I wasn't expecting, and was presently surprised by, was the element of magical realism in this book. Cady describes her emotional reactions as physical manifestations, which both convey how unwieldy both she and her mother find those emotions. Her mother's constant pleas that she just pull herself together and act normal seem almost justified when Cady is talking about melting into a puddle on the floor or her brains spilling out of her ears.

Her imagery is so specific and blends so seamlessly into the real world that I occasionally found myself wondering if some of it wasn't real. Was there real blood flowing from Cady's wrists? Did Gat literally bandage these wounds, or was it all a metaphor for emotional pain? Early on, I began suspecting that Cady was suicidal.

I was also impressed by how quickly I read this book. It's the first time since before my kid was born that I plowed through an entire book in just over 24 hours. But this one was so incredibly readable (and I had to find out what happened) that I kept picking it back up every time I had a spare moment. It was nice to know that I can still inhale books like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel