The Likeness

This book is almost too bright. Which is maybe an odd way to describe a book. It's so bright that it gives me a headache, the kind I got when I was in Alaska in June and the sun was always in my eyes. Which, again, is an odd way to describe a book that I love deeply. But it's true. The first time I read it, I had a stomach bug, so I figured that was why I felt a little off. This time through I felt fine, and I still got a headache, right at the exact same spot. This book glitters and shimmers, and it's sometimes hard to look at. But it's even harder to look away. So. Headache.

My second time through this book, I got a chance to marvel at how French constructed her mystery. I was actually surprised to realize that she tells you who the author is right on the third page. Then again, much like The Secret History, this mystery is more about why than who. What did Lexie do that fractured the group?

I love books that hold up well on a re-read, and I think it can be especially difficult for a mystery to work the second time through. When you already know all the answers, so that tension isn't pulling you forward. But French creates such a fascinating story that I fell right back into it. These characters have constructed a fantasy world that lets them ignore the future and deny the past. And when it falls apart, they continue to live in denial for a long time. Which makes the ultimate heartbreak so much worse.

My book club didn't like this book as much as I did. I think I read so much fantasy and science-fiction that I just take high concepts in stride. I care less about the plot if it gives me some good character moments. And this book has those characters in spades. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief in the name of a good story, which this book really requires you to do. But I definitely think it's worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel