The Wedding Date

I gotta say, I'm actually glad that I wasn't completely in love with this book. I started adding romance novels to my regular rotation earlier this year. I've loved them so much that I was starting to worry that I wasn't being objective about it. (Then again, who really wants to be objective about romance novels? The point is to love them whole-heartedly.) But it turns out that I was just that good at doing my research.

I did enjoy this story about a fake date that quickly becomes a whole lot more. Alexa and Drew are both driven, career-focused people who get completely caught off guard by their feelings for each other. Their meet-cute was adorable (and obviously in an elevator). Their friends were totally supportive. Their obstacles were a nice mix of internal (commitment issues) and external (living in different cities). It was a sweet book.

But I really struggled with the pacing. Guillory tended to jump forward in time with no warning. The sex scenes were vague and always faded to black before they got good. This made them feel repetitive (it didn't help that there were a ton of them). Nothing against that in general, but I guess I prefer more of a slow burn than the instant physical chemistry that these characters had. (Possibly why I'm finding myself preferring historical romances).

So it was a fun book that served to highlight what I'm actually looking for in a romance novel. It wasn't quite this, but now I know that. And I can jump back to Sarah MacLean and Alyssa Cole (and start seeking out Courtney Milan and Tessa Dare). One of the reasons I'm not too worried about not liking this book as much is that I need to start finding ways to limit my TBR rather than adding to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel