Parable of the Sower

I first read this book three or four years ago, and it has really stuck with me. My thoughts return to it again and again, especially with the current political climate, not to mention the actual climate. I've recommended it to more people than I can remember and loaned my copies out enough times that I have no idea what happened to them. So when they announced a re-issue with a new introduction by NK Jemisin, it was all the excuse I needed to buy new copies and re-read them.

Having now re-read the first book, I'm seeing how much the two blurred together in my mind. And I think it was actually the second one that impacted me the most. This one started out a lot more slowly than I remembered. They weren't on the road for nearly as much of the book as I thought they were, and a lot of things that I thought were in this book weren't.

But I think I actually liked it more this time around. I've lived and learned a lot in the past few years, and I have a greater appreciation for everything Lauren went through, everything she says and does. I'm more drawn to the whole idea of Earthseed this time around, probably because it's a fairly simple philosophy that nonetheless demands a lot of its adherents. And it feels like the type of thing we need more of in this day and age.

Everything is always changing, but you don't have to just sit there passively and let life happen to you. You can take that change, do with it what you will, and shape the life you want. Given the amount of upheaval in my life this year this idea really speaks to me. So much so that I'm actually considering getting a tattoo inspired by this book.

I'm really looking forward to revisiting the sequel, which has so much more of what I loved about this duology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel