The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion

I have no doubt that this book will resonate strongly for some people. They'll read it and love it and find meaning and connection. But I'm not one of those people. And because of that I couldn't really enjoy this book.

This is a quick horror story about a punk anarchist collective that's being tormented by a spirit. A handful of them summoned said spirit to help them maintain their anarchy. It's supposed to kill anyone who wields power over another. But now it's killing the original summoners and the town can't decide whether to stop it or embrace it.

The book makes some basic assumptions about anarchy that I can't bring myself to agree with. It's based on a lot of ifs that I don't think hold up well in the real world. So I found the whole premise difficult. Then there's the submersion in the punk subculture. It makes for a nice shorthand for world building, but my lack of familiarity with it just meant that I knew I was missing things.

Sometimes a book just isn't for you, and that's alright. I hope this one finds its people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel