It Happened One Autumn

I must have adjusted to Lisa Kleypas' style, because I liked this book a whole lot more than the first one. I don't know that the hero actually had more scenes, but what he had seemed better paced. I actually felt like I got to see his arc rather than assuming that it happened off-page. But the majorty of the book was still devoted to Lillian and her friends. And it's the friendship between the wallflowers that really make these books special.

Lillian is a fantastic heroine. She's rash and brash and full of energy. She doesn't like rules that make no sense, though she learns to appreciate that sometimes she doesn't know the reason behind a rule. Sometimes, of course, the rules are simply outdated and she's there to point that out. She's also wonderfully innocent - she has no idea how much she doesn't know - and that leads to some fun scenes as well.

There are also a handful of scenes that give us glimpses into the heads of characters other than the hero and heroine, which I enjoyed. We get to see Marcus from his sister's vantage, and we get a brief glimpse at the hero of a future novel.

I don't know that this series will ever be one of my favorites. For one, it was definitely written before #metoo. But it's growing on me, and I'm interested to see how much Kleypas redeems Sebastian in the next book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel