The End of All Things

The penultimate book in Scalzi's Old Man's War series was actually a collection of short stories that built into a novel. The last book is a collection of novellas. It's not quite as successful as the previous book, mostly because there's a little less room for error. I didn't like one of the short stories, but it didn't much affect my liking of the book as a whole, since it was akin to not being fond of a small side plot. But when I didn't like one of the novellas, that was a quarter of the book that felt wasted to me.

Which makes it sounds like I liked this book less than I did. And I did ultimately appreciate that novella, but not until the very end. I spent most of it wondering where I recognized the main character from and why she mattered to the overall story, but it all came together in the last few pages.

The other three novellas were fantastic and built to a suitably satisfying conclusion. I think there's still a lot of room for Scalzi to return to this series and keep writing if he ever wants to. But for now it feels like a complete story. One that gained depth and complexity as it went on and made me fall on love with what I've come to recognize as Scalzi's brand: supremely sarcastic and competent narrators. I'm excited to check out more of his work outside of this series,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel