The Wedding Party

I enjoyed but didn't love The Wedding Date when I read it last year. I didn't feel a pressing need to read the sequels - there were other romances I liked more and my TBR is already way too long. But when a friend bought this for me as a gift, I had no reason not to read it.

I went in expecting a fun, quick romance whose characters struggle with racism and sexism and that's exactly what I got. Maddie and Theo were both interesting characters, especially because they managed to bring out both the best and the worst in each other. It was a fun dynamic, especially as they swung from seeing the worst in each other to seeing the best. They have the same problem Lizzie and Darcy had - they're too similar to see each other clearly at first. It's a classic for a reason.

My only complaint, and the real reason that I'll never be totally sold on Jasmine Guillory, is that her sex scenes fade to black to quickly. Part of the reason I read romance is for the steamy sex scenes, and Guillory skips over them almost entirely. It's not that the characters don't have sex - that's almost all they do in the beginning. It just never ends up on page. Which is fine and definitely what some people prefer. But I'll stick to writers like Alyssa Cole and Alisha Rai for my contemporary romances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel