Let's Pretend This Never Happened

I first discovered Jenny Lawson when Neil Gaiman linked to a blog entry of hers detailing their meeting at W00tstock. You can go read it here, but the takeaway message is that after asking Gaiman whether unicorns or zombies would win in the battle for world domination, she proceeded to explain why he was completely wrong.

I started clicking through her blog which never failed to make me laugh. Jenny is insane, and she has debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. Somehow she manages to find the humor in all of this and pass along her intense joy in life.

I'd definitely recommend checking out her blog. Just click through to a few random posts. But make sure you look up the James Garfield Christmas Miracle, which still brings tears to my eyes. Not in a laugh so hard I'm crying way, but in a my faith is restored in humanity way.

The book is a lot like her blog. It's somewhat more structured, since she actually had an editor for it, but the style and content are very similar. The book covers most of her life, from her unique childhood with a crazy taxidermist for a father to the time she bought a giant metal chicken.

Jenny's ability to find joy in the absurd is contagious. Her book had me laughing out loud, even as I was sure that I shouldn't be laughing at something. If you enjoy her blog, you'll love her book. (And if you don't like the blog, you'll hate her book, so just move on with your life).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel