The Great Gatsby

F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is another book I initially read for school but wanted to revisit. Unlike The Sun Also Rises, I liked this book just as much, if not more the second time through. And since it's less than 200 pages long, I flew through it.

The Great Gatsby is very much about the Roaring 20s. Gatsby is larger than life. He's rather mysterious (though seems to be involved in crime in a big way). He's incredibly eccentric and throws huge parties. And he does it all in the hopes of getting the lovely Daisy back into his life.

This book contains a lot of adultery. Everyone seems to be cheating on everyone. Even the side character, Jordan, reveals at the end that she was engaged all the time she was carrying on with Nick. Of course none of this ends well. But there's a lot of fun to be had before everything comes crashing down (kind of like the 20s themselves).

I wanted to re-read this book because I saw the trailer for Baz Luhrman's movie. And now I'm even more excited for it than I was before. It looks so pretty. It looks like a bunch of little details were included, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel