Sandman: Brief Lives

The seventh volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is most people's favorite. But it's my least favorite.

It's not that I dislike Brief Lives. There are some cool themes and some really interesting characters. It's the first time we really get a story focused on the Endless as a family which is cool. But it does this by putting the youngest Endless, Delirium, front and center. This story is her's as much as it is Dream's.

The problem is that I'm not overly fond of Delirium. She's annoying. She has trouble moving linearly, which means that the story also has trouble moving linearly. It wanders around and some plot threads are simply left hanging. The story, like Delirium, has a lot of trouble focusing. And I find that really frustrating.

But that's okay, because the next volume is one of my favorites in the entire series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel